Sunday, July 16, 2006

Plein Air at Barbara's House

My friend and artist buddy has a wonderful home and backyard. This is a view of her backyard bird feeder which sits beautifully by the pool surrounded by gorgeous flowers and a gurgling fountain. I'm trying to get more oil work done lately. It was getting dark as I tried to get at least one layer on this one. The copper patina on the feeder and tube is not quite right yet, but I really like how the patio tiles came out, and the suggestion of grasses. I think sometimes the less we "think" about what we paint, and just go quickly and instinctively, at least with this kind of plein air work, the better the outcome. Has that been your experience also? Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Lin said...

GORGEOUS! And what a fabulous place your friend's yard must be!

Jana Bouc said...

Your work is so beautiful! What a great idea to do plein air painting in a friend's yard instead of making trips to fancy parks. I like both bird feeder paintings. I think you really captured the copper and the trees are fantastic. It's interesting how with oil painting you can actually paint the sky holes but with watercolor you have to paint around them or they're gone forever!

Sue Seibert said...

This is lovely, Nelda. You did a super job.

Anonymous said...

So far, Nelda, my experience has been quite the opposite. I find that I have to think about what I'm doing a lot because my response to the scene is not instinctive yet. But maybe one day I'll get there. I think it also has to do with how much time I have. If I have limited time I am looser than when I have a few hours. I think there may be some differences between watercolor and oil also.

Related Posts with Thumbnails